четверг, 16 октября 2008 г.

a spring loaded pulley




I have been a volunteer for one week now. The swearing-in ceremony went very well. I gave the speech and the vice-ambassador was there to here it. I felt very proud of myself because he wished me luck and complimented me on the speech. Maybe it was part of the diplomatic job description, but I think he really meant it.

I am not at my site at the moment-- I am in Kampala, and I have been since Tuesday, because I got sick. It was really rather frustrating to get sick when everything at site was so new. Forunately I feel much better now. I am going to return to Kyenjojo tomorrow.

Settling in to the house has not been easy. Perhaps the most logistically complicated matter was securing propane gas for my stove. There is a shortage of gas throughout the country. Fortunately, an extremely kind taxi driver who works in the area investigated gas stations where there was propone still in stock. He came back to me with a price estimate and we went to the gas station and collected it. He even drove me back to my house and helped me manouver the tank inside.

I am sensing that I will have enough work to keep me busy, though I am not without my apprehensions. The organization I am with works with orphans and vulnerable children. I am the only woman on staff. That is hard. The good thing is, I have the opportunity to make friends with women in the community. Plus, there is a girl who has been a Peace Corps Volunteer for about a year who lives just down the road from me at a Catholic parish. I know Iapos;ll be calling on her for support.

Thankfully the first week at site is over. The first week is always chaos.
a spring loaded pulley, a spring jump start, a spring day korean drama, a spring day.



Комментариев нет: